fbpx

Understanding Your Cat’s Food Diet properly

The essential guide to cat food diets: what you need to know
When admiring our serenely sleeping cats snuggled comfortably at the end of the bed, it is difficult to rationalize that these beautiful and elegant creatures who have become companions and caring confidants over the years are actually thin, that is, killing machines when It’s about your eating habits.
For most cat owners, the fact that we actually house an expert killer is something we prefer to turn a blind eye to. However, the impressive characteristics of a born predator are difficult to deny; Agile and strong bodies with lightning reflexes, quiet stealthy march, sharp claws, long canine teeth, excellent night vision, highly tuned hearing and a sense of superior smell.
Recognizing the obviously obvious truth about these unique creatures with whom we share our lives is critical to understanding all aspects of their medical care. So why do you often forget this when it comes to the most essential issue: the nutrition of cat food!
What do you feed your cat?
Jenny Philip BVMS MRCVS, clinical director of Klinic and veterinarian of the veterinarian, knows the importance of giving your cat a natural balanced diet based on science, which provides them with the nutrients they need to thrive, knows firsthand how deficient some can be commercially prepared cat food brands from a nutritional point of view.
Currently, 70% of cat owners in the United Kingdom feed their cat on a commercially prepared diet, of which half feed a mixture of wet and dry cat food; the other 30% of the owners feed leftovers from the table, diets based on raw meat or allow their cats to eat live prey.
Diets for raw and live prey animals are potentially very biologically appropriate. However, at home prepared diets are notoriously difficult to balance properly and can take a long time and are inconvenient for most. Worryingly, a recent study in the United States found that 84% of these home-prepared diets are deficient in multiple nutrients.
Even so, some commercially prepared cat food recipes are equally inappropriate; They can be better balanced on paper, but just look at the back of a package of some of these commercial cat foods to highlight their shortcomings.
For example, take the two best brands of dry cat food market leaders; The analytical components (these are the ingredients in cat food) read 30-32% protein, 10% fat and 7.5-8.5% ash. What the manufacturer does not need to declare is the carbohydrate content. Most of these dry diets have more than 40% carbohydrates and depend on carbohydrates to create the croquette structure. So why is the high carbohydrate content of cats’ diet worrisome?
Are cats carnivorous or omnivorous?
Cats do not need a high carbohydrate diet, in fact it goes against their biological composition.
Cats are biologically different from us; They are classified as obligate carnivores. If you are a “carnivore,” you get your energy and nutrients from an exclusive diet or primarily from animal tissue. If you are an ‘obligate carnivore’, it depends solely on animal tissue rather than an optional carnivore that, in the absence of meat, may choose to use non-animal sources for its nutritional needs. In contrast, humans are classified as omnivorous, deriving their energy from a variety of food sources, and dogs are a matter of controversy and can be classified as omnivorous or facultative carnivores.
The natural diet of the domestic cat consists of small rodents and mammals. On average, one element of prey is 62% animal-derived protein, 10% fat with 14% ash, which is mainly bone mineral content (see table below).
Prey species -% crude protein -% fat -% ash
• Mouse – 62 – 11 – 13
• Rat – 63 – 9 – 14
• Little bird – 62 – 9 – 15
This protein-rich diet has caused forced carnivores to evolve with completely different biochemical pathways to process food and metabolize nutrients compared to other species with which we are familiar, such as dogs or ourselves.
Cats need protein for energy, not carbohydrates!
The universal source of energy for all cells in any creature is glucose. For humans and dogs, glucose is readily available by breaking down carbohydrates in our diets.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *